Thursday, February 14, 2013

An improbable seed

Tonight we are going to look at an RV. Like to live in. Like we are going to sell all of our stuff and move our family into an RV. I'm not sure if we're crazy or beginning our dream, but I guess it will be fun to find out.
This idea began as a tiny little seed last summer. My husband, Mark, was on tour with his band, Junior Doctor, and we were on vacation with my family. While running around the pool as little boys do, my oldest son, Markie fell down and hit his head on the concrete side. 
He came to me crying, confused and disoriented, unable to hold a memory. He kept repeating "What happened, why does my head hurt, Mommy I'm scared"
In that moment, in the midst of all my extended family, at a crowded pool; I was completely alone. The only thing that existed for me was this moment; my three boys, my husband miles away and my worst fear: one of my babies was hurt. 
My parents kept Topher, our middle child, while my brother rushed us the ER. I called Mark on the way. He felt helpless. He wanted to jump a plane to us, but I reminded him that everything could be fine by the time he got here. "Just wait" I told him. "I'll call you when I know something clear."
They wouldn't let me take our baby, Johnny, into the ER so my brother kept him and Markie and I went in alone. That hour spent waiting on results from the brain scan at the time seemed horrible, yet so much changed in that hour without us fully realizing. 
The little things mean the most
My mind raced as I waited. I knew so clearly that Mark and I are the best team we have to offer our children. And there is no one that can take his place when he is gone. We were designed to parent our kids together, to handle difficult times together, to share in life's joys together. And we work together like a well oiled machine. We're far better together than we have ever been apart. I felt convinced the day would have gone different if Mark and I would have been together, conquering the day as a team. Not because I am inadequate, but because we are better together. I am the yin to his yang and vice versa. We balance each other and bring out the best in each other. I had never wanted the best for my children so badly as in that moment. 
Well Markie turned out just fine. He had some temporary swelling that caused the temporary memory loss and confusion. That all cleared up before we even left the ER. He had begun calming down and holding memory shortly after the scan. To the naked eye, it might have seemed like a pointless trip. 
But when I called Mark to tell him all was well, something was different.
Love notes to our Daddy
You see, we always dreamed of ONE DAY going out on the road with Mark and the band. You know, when we were all rich, had a nanny and one of those million dollar tour buses... after the nice car, nice house and of course we had purchased everything apple has to offer. 
Yet this simple little summer pool slip... it changed us, it refocused our priorities. 
What's the use of a nice home if we aren't living in it together?
What's the use of a nice car, to drive to separate places, in separate states, away from each other?
Could having more money, more luxuries, more stuff, really take the place of the companionship we crave from living our life in step with each other?
During that simple little hour at the ER, we realized a life changing truth, a core family value:
We just need us. US became our priority. 
We both arrived at that same conclusion, in two different states, miles apart from each other. Some people might see that as a coincidence, we saw it as destiny.
We ended that phone conversation deciding that our new goal was to get in an RV and on the road with Mark as soon as possible. We had no idea how, no idea when or no idea if we were allowed too. But we knew we would. We committed to praying for it and dreaming about it as family. Every time doubt crept in, we chose hope instead. 

So today, as I wait with anticipation to check out our first used RV with intent to buy... Feeling like perhaps all our dreams might come true, we might never have to leave each other again, I'm reminded that this ball got rolling from an event that seemed to be one I should regret, my child's trip to the ER. It's said that we have a Creator that can use all things for good for those who love him. Things like this, inspire me to believe it.



Romans 8:28
New International Version (NIV)
28 And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who[a] have been called according to his purpose.

4 comments:

  1. I love you, Meg and I'm so excited for you!! I know things are going to work out for you guys because you deserve it.

    ReplyDelete